Lauki ka Halwa is prepared from grated Bottle Guard (lauki), khoya, milk, and sugar.
And is topped with ghee and chopped dry fruit nuts. It is very easy to make and cook in no time. This Halwa is a staple in many households during Navratri or in other festivals.
“Name a Dessert, that makes you Nostalgic”
This dessert shares a large but special place in the memories of my childhood. In my childhood, I used to visit my Nani’s Place in Summer Vacations. So, whenever I visited my Nani, she made sure to feed me, my siblings, and my cousins with all the homegrown things, green veggies, and milk in the form of curd, khoya, peda, etc etc. She did really smart trick to fool us with lauki (green veggie) in the form of lauki ka halwa, filled with khoya, ghee. I usually enjoyed this halwa a lot. This one was my favorite and I named it “Green Halwa”. I always wondered, how did this has green color, because, for me, it was some Magic spell created by Nani. Till that day, I was unaware of the Main Ingredient behind this delicious Halwa. To reminisce about my childhood memories, I made this Halwa in the same way, she used to make for me. Obviously, the taste didn’t come out the same, because it was lacking her love.
Tips by Me
- The first and foremost tip is to use always fresh lauki, it should be neutral in taste, but not bitter. A bitter lauki is poisonous and is toxic for the body.
- Prepare khoya before starting to make halwa. A thickened khoya is creamier and brings creaminess to the halwa.
- Always use full-fat milk, avoid using toned milk, as it can curdle while adding to the lauki.
- Always use heavy kadhai, so that halwa gets cooked uniformly and does not burn from the bottom.
- If, in case the milk gets curdled, continue to cook halwa at low to medium flame. It will evaporate the water and result in leaving tiny paneer particles only, hence thickening the lauki halwa. And, it will taste amazing.
Step by Step Recipe
Heat ghee in a Kadhai.
When ghee is hot, roast almond, cashew, pistachios, and any dry fruit of your choices.
Add grated lauki in the same karahi/pan and saute well for few minutes. Saute till the grated lauki started to shrink.
Add 1.5 cups of milk. Mix well and let it simmer in milk for 15 minutes. Cook the grated lauki till the milk thickens.
When the milk thickens, and the lauki became soft, add khoya, cardamom powder, and sugar. Mix well.
Mix well and keep stirring for the next 5 minutes till the mass forms. The halwa will start to leave ghee from the sides of the karahi/pan. Turn off the flame.
Take the halwa out of the Karahi/Pan. Serve hot or chilled as per what suits your mood. Garnish with chopped nuts.
Lauki Halwa/ Doodhi Halwa
- 1.5 cup Grated Lauki
- 1.5 cup Full-fat milk
- 1 cup Khoya
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Chopped Dryfruit Nuts
- 1/2 cup Sugar or as per taste
- Heat Ghee in a Karahi/Pan. When the ghee is hot enough, Add dry fruits and Saute well.
- In the same Karahi/Pan, add the grated lauki. Cook the lauki on low-medium flame for 5-10 minutes, so that the lauki starts to shrink.
- Add milk and let the lauki simmer for 15minutes in the milk so that the lauki will cook completely. Keep the flame on low-medium heat. Mix very well.
- Remember to stir often the halwa, tilll the milk is reduce and get thickens.
- Now, add khoya, cardamom powder and sugar. And Mix well. until mass forms. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot or chilled as per suits your mood. Garnish with chopped nuts.